Sunday, February 14, 2010

An Early Start to the Morning

I woke up at about 1am this morning. I went to bed at 7pm because I was tired. Six hours of sleep is a decent amout of sleep for me. One thing nice about to waking up really early like this is that it helps you get a nice early start to the day. I woke up thinking about Philippians 4:8, which is one of my current memory verses.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-- think about such things. (NIV)

It struck me that I should really start doing this. I did this while I lied in the bed until about 3am and it was great.

When I got up I got some pinto beans on to soaking. Beans cook so much faster when they're soaked and I'm going to try to make chalupa soup. I want the beans to cook up nice and tender. I've eaten my aunt's chalupas before and they're really good. I started thinking about this yesterday and called her to get the recipe, but I thought chalupa soup would be really good. I don't know if anyone has ever made chalupa soup before! If it turns out good I'll post the recipe.

We got lots of snow Friday and it stayed on the ground for over 24 hours, which is so rare in the deep south. Yesterday I went to look at the park and a lively snowball fight was going on. I didn't get to see much of the action because most of the commotion stopped when they saw me. I heard the action begin again when I was walking back to my apartment.

When I lived on the Gulf coast, I could count on spring to make it's glorious arrival by the end of February. All the azaleas would be beautifully in bloom. Now I live a little farther north, but it's still the deep south. I keep looking at the ten day weather forcasts hoping to see a warming trend. Instead the opposite has been occurring, so I'm quite curious as to when we'll see some spring. I love the four seasons though. Winter used to be my favorite season because I loved walking in the bracing cold air. I'm a little more careful about exposing myself to the elements now. Really wind and dampness are more what I have to be careful of to try to avoid getting sick.

I'm about to do my morning Bible reading--now in the book of Exodus and 1st Samuel. I read chapters from 10 different books of the Bible. It's great.

No comments:

Post a Comment