Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Science of calories

I'm enthused about my new diet. I used to get frustrated trying to count calories or points, because I'm on medication that increases my appetite. However I decided to give the science of losing weight by counting calories a chance to work for me again. I think last months memory scripture from Proverbs chapter 8 (and studying the whole chapter) is the clincher. Now my viewpoint is that God gave us the wisdom necessary for helping to achieve a healthier weight. My goal, 1,800 calories per day (most days anyway), which is plenty of calories, so I'm really determined to make it achievable.

Being willing to jump in there and prepare the different kinds of food I know I can enjoy on my diet, I think is really a key to success. I've got cooked veggies, and deviled eggs (made with lite mayo), and a delicious new dessert (recipe included) in the fridge. This dessert has the texture of whipped cream and the taste brings back memories of when my mom would let me have a taste of condensed milk when making lemon ice box pies.

I've been eating a lot of wild salmon sandwiches. Buying frozen wild salmon (which I've noticed has really improved in quality) at Walmart for $7.87 / 28 oz. (1.75 lb.) is enough for seven sandwiches, which works out to $1.12 per serving of wild salmon-- which is something you might want to keep in mind if you like fast food, since these wild salmon sandwiches are much healthier and much more economical than fast food. Here is a link to a previous blog post with my recipe for salmon sandwiches:

http://discipledpilgrimage.blogspot.com/2009/04/great-perspective-makes-healthy-eating.html

This is recipe is mild to medium hot (pepper wise) but to me it's very tastey if I add about 12 dashes of the Habanero Tabasco sauce, because on a sandwich you don't taste the hot sauce nearly as much.

Dieter's "Condensed Milk" Dessert

32 oz. carton nonfat yogurt (see note)
12 oz. can refrigerated evaporated skim milk
1/4-1/2 tsp. True Lemon (crystalized lemon)
10-12 packets of Splenda (or to taste)

Line a colander with 4 layers of cheesecloth. Pour yogurt on top of cheesecloth. Strain for about 1 hr. Discard the whey or reserve for another use. Blenderize all ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for 2-3 minutes. May be served immediately but texture is better if refrigerated a few hours before serving.

Makes 4-6 servings 160-240 calories per serving

NOTE: This recipe is made with yogurt which contains pectin and tapioca starch, which affects recipe results.

No comments:

Post a Comment