Saturday, April 11, 2009

A Great Perspective Makes Healthy Eating Fun

Today it really seems as if I have my normal stamina again. I've been wanting to return to my usual daily activities, ever since about a week and a half ago, when my physician prescribed a new medication. I even walked for a mile this evening after I made a quick trip to the grocery store. I just prepared and ate a good healthy supper-- wild salmon sandwich (recipe included) and asparagus which I bought on sale today, with frozen honey meringue for dessert.

I had never cooked merigue before. I have been interested in making meringue as a topping for pies or banana pudding, because it's fat free instead of having artery clogging fat like whipped toppings. Even if the whipped topping product says it's fat free, you can still see fat on the ingredient list, and whipped topping is something that I like a lot of. So several days ago I decided to just try my honey meringue recipe, to see how it would turn out. I discovered that it's nice for satisfying my sweet tooth after a meal. I need to adjust the recipe because 4 egg whites to 1/3 cup of honey is overly sweet. The meringue fell partially when it was in the oven and also when I froze it.

I only had a limited amount of success controlling my eating yesterday. For supper yesterday I ate at a Chinese buffet. I did fair at setting some healthy limits but got a brownie later at Books A Million! I seem to be so susceptible to this lately. I've decided that a good strategy would be to quickly walk out of Books A Million the next time this happens.

I've found that diligence in praying about self control in eating is really important. During my walk this evening, God gave me a really good new perspective, regarding making decisions to eat healthier. Choosing & eating healthy foods (instead of foods that contribute to health problems) can seem as as enjoyable as taking walks that are refreshing and good for your health-- if you have the right perspective.


Habanero Salmon Sandwiches

I purchase frozen wild salmon at Walmart, which I think is economical since it's about $4.00/lb. I've noticed that the most recent salmon I've bought seems to be a different kind of salmon because it's not as pink. It tastes kind of different from regular wild salmon but it makes a great sandwich. I would say this recipe is mild to medium hot.

For each 4 oz. salmon fillet, combine about 1/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil & about 5 drops Tabasco Habanero sauce on a plate. Mix the hot sauce into the oil with a fork. Coat each fillet. Sprinkle liberally with True Lemon (crystallized lemon). Cook in a low to medium hot skillet for about 5-8 minutes or until the salmon flakes easily and the inside of the fish appears lighter. Serve on light wheat buns.

EDIT: Recently the frozen salmon I've bought at Walmart is a good quality chum salmon, pre-portioned for 4-8 servings. I like to add more Tabasco than is in the recipe, because you don't taste the spicyness of the Tabasco nearly as much in a sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment