Friday, June 12, 2009

Sushi

I recently began eating sushi and I love it. I've been thinking it would be great if I could make my own sushi. At the grocery store today I decided to stock my pantry with a few Japanese ingredients-- hot chili oil, nori seaweed wraps, rice vinegar and wasabi. This evening I made sushi for the first time-- Spicey California Rolls. These are made with imitation crabmeat, cucumbers and avocado. I've been reading two books on sushi which I checked out from the library, which has taught me a good bit.

I kept struggling trying to roll the sushi-- thinking one day I may actually get to eat it. Then I realized I shouldn't have halved the nori seaweed wrap. When I finally got to eat some I loved the way it tasted. I think making sushi is pretty simple (assuming you have the right sized nori wrap). I'm happy that I can make good sushi at home. Eating my sushi was a little bit messy because I used brown rice. Brown rice is a whole grain and good for you. To me a little messiness is a small concession to make for the sake of good nutrition.

I love wasabi! Nevermind that the first time I tried it, I ate it whole-- it does like a green pea. My mom and I were eating sushi and she suggested trying a little bit of the wasabi on the sushi; it's delicious.

1 comment:

  1. I'm too wussy to try sushi :P I'm glad you love it!

    I had nooooo clue I even had my blog posted on CW anymore lol I haven't logged in for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete