Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Vanilla Honey Sponge Cake

I've really been enjoying baking lately. I just love to be in my kitchen whipping up something with my electric mixer (which I got very inexpensively at Target)! About a week ago I was at my mom's house and I said "don't I have an angel food cake pan with feet here?" Mom found it for me. This morning my mom and sister and I had this Vanilla Honey Sponge cake with our coffee before our Bible study & prayer meeting. This cake is good. It has a light delicate taste and texture. To me, it's kind of rich tasting even though it contains no shortening. It's low in calories though (see nutrition info after recipe). Unmolding the cake presented some difficulty, but we just sliced the cake in the pan to serve it. My mom said to use some vegetable oil spray and that this is o.k. even though the pan has to be inverted to cool. I'd recommend avoiding though, as much as possible, spraying the sides of the pan with the vegetable oil or instead just lightly greasing the bottom of the pan with oil. You can also find angel food cake pans that separate into two pieces-- which is really nice for unmolding the cake and clean up.

Click on the link for very helpful information on folding ingredients into egg whites:

http://www.ochef.com/241.htm


Vanilla Honey Sponge Cake

5 extra large eggs, at room temperature
1 C unbleached all purpose flour, sifted
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup honey
1-2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Combine flour and salt, mixing well. Separate eggs. Beat yolks for about 5 minutes. Beat egg whites just until soft peaks form. Add vanilla. Drizzle in honey while beating. Continue to beat for 1-2 minutes, just until stiff peaks form; avoid overbeating. Fold in flour 1/4th at a time. Fold in beaten yolks. Lightly grease the bottom of an angel food cake pan. Pour in cake batter. Bake in 325F pre-heated oven for 1.25 hours or until done. Your cake may cook more quickly, so it's a good idea to check for doneness after it's cooked for 45 minutes. Carefully invert cake pan, on a bottle or on the cake pan's "feet", for cooling. Serve & enjoy!

NOTE: Freeze any cake that won't be eaten in a day.

Nutrition info:
5 eggs------------400 calories
1 C flour---------400 calories
1/2 C honey----480 calories
______________________
1 cake------------1,280 calories
1/12 cake--------128 calories

No comments:

Post a Comment